Wednesday, November 04, 2009

How does it feels to loose 50GB of important data?



While browsing my server PC and checking the downloads... all of a sudden I heard this noise clicks coming from the harddisk and I noticed that some of my partitions including my Photography Photos are like gone. The red light hdd indicator at the case is steady and not blinking. I reboot many times, reconfigure the plugs but same shit happens.

I search the net about HDD services and recovering files and it turns out no good. Recovering files is really serious. I saw 1 company which is I think a Seagate Partner and the quote will cost me P90k converted yet the probability of recovering the files are still very low.

At that moment, I thought all of my photos will be lost for good.... I feel crashed... :(

Desperately, I cancelled all my work, shut down the PC and removed the harddisk from the server then plugged it in to my desktop PC. It started to boot and I'm like WOW! I can't hardly believe what I see in the BIOS with my 200gb detected! So I continue booting vista, check the partitions and everything was there. What the hell... I immediately transfer all of my photos and just tolerate the stupid click sound -- it was really loud. Sometimes it fails that it needs to confirm to retry. I can't believe that it survives 30min of continuous transfer and was all successfull! My 200GB Seagate is still working but I'm going to consider it worst as BRICK.

I'm soooo relief right now. I'm not sure if i'm saying this right but I guess if you have a 4yrs old HDD better not to use it as a backup drive.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a time when I accidentally erased the partition I have for my music productions. Well, all the final source files of my first album is gone, although I still have backups of the older versions -- unfinished versions, them. Now I'm more careful about these things.

    Of course it's just plain stupidity compared to what you thought you had gone through -- the eventual manifestation of the click of death for hard drives. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it sucks! That's so far worst thing happen in my pc but thank God my photos survived! I could care less about my other files.

    Will setup or buy a NAS soon if my money permits hehehe.

    Keyword here is BACKUP!

    ReplyDelete