Sunday, August 17, 2014

Windows software raid1 / mirror drives negative testing

I never had an experienced on doing software raid1 or at least win8 mirroring drive but I decided to jump into negative testing right away. Just to prepare myself to any kind of situation I may experience when one of my drive died.

To be honest I'm really worried about the reliability of the HDD these days though I do understand the high storage and faster read/write means more issue probably. Now my documents, photos and projects are all in mirror drives and backup drive disconnected. Typically I have 3 copies of those I mentioned.

Here are all different drive status I get when doing negative testing...

BEFORE: Existing Drive1 with files
AFTER: Added mirror Drive2
RESULT: 1 drive usable in my computer


BEFORE: Drive1 with files and newly added mirror Drive2
AFTER: ...after 30min of resynch
RESULT: 1 drive usable in my computer


BEFORE: Drive1 & Drive2 mirrored ok.
AFTER: Disable Drive2, then reactivate Drive1
RESULT: 0 drive usable in my computer


BEFORE: Drive1 Failed redundancy & Drive2 disabled.
AFTER: Remove mirror Drive1, Enabled Drive2
RESULT: 1 drive usable after mirror removal in my computer


BEFORE: Drive1 Ok & Drive2 dynamic missing / foreign
AFTER: Drive2 import foreign disk
RESULT: 2 drives usable in my computer


BEFORE: Drive1 Ok & Drive2 Ok as separate drive
AFTER: Drive1 add mirror Drive2, wait to resync to finish
RESULT: 1 drive usable in my computer


Verdict: so far so good, setup is really simple yet seems very reliable based on my testing.

I'll keep this post update if anythings comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment