Monday, January 07, 2013

RMA Seasonic X760 PSU, receives X750?

My problem with my Seasonic X760 is that I'm having problem powering up my system unless I unplug and plug the power at quick motion or switch my AVR off-then-on. I recently tried removing all powered devices such as SSD, HDD, ODD and actually even replaced my GPU /w 2 6pin to a low profile GPU... still no luck. I also use the motherboard power button, same issue no response.

Tried to isolate the problem by plugging my old/extra power supply... surprisingly it powers up my system flawlessly.

I still trust my Seasonic X760. I actually read voltage rails before I plug in and I know how awesome my PSU is... it’s that the only problem I had now is powering up.

So I requested for RMA from Helix: Support for Seasonic Items, sent the requirement forms, sent the Seasonic X760 PSU unit, then they confirmed the issue when they received the item.

The next day I already receive the RMA'd PSU... that what fast! But I was suddenly surprised when I opened the box I saw X750 instead of X760. So I emailed them right away... here's their response.

Thank you for the email.

Actually, the unit that you have is the latest model of X-series, with model number SS-750KM3 (you can verify the model number on the side of the box or info panel on the PSU). The previous model that you had sent for RMA is SS-760KM2. The X-750 that you are referring to is the SS-750KM. The SS-750KM was the first X series, the box was a lot bigger, the fan grille was raised, and the power cables are sleeved (similar to the SS-760KM2). The 750KM was the oldest model, which was released some time around 2009 (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article986-page1.html)

The unit that you have is the SS-750KM3, while the SS-760KM2 was phased out already. The reason why Seasonic had changed the model number (again) was to make room for the Platinum 760 watts (to differentiate the model number), which is also now available. Unfortunately we dont have SS-760KM2 anymore, as seasonic no longer supplies us with that model, and instead the SS-750KM3 is now being produced.

I hope this resolves your question; rest assured you did not get an older product, in fact a newer one, with flat modular cables, for easier installation and less clutter in your PC.

If you have further question, feel free to reply to this email.

So, I received the newer X750 revisions, despite of less 10W of X760, the newer version seems to have closer label layout and no sticker in the middle as the X760 compared to the old X750 (SS-750K[b]M[/b]), smaller package/box, has dedicated button for hybrid/normal fan, and thin modular cables.

Internally better? Check out Techpowerup's Seasonic X Series 750 W Review. Quoted:
"Seasonic's technicians had a very difficult task to complete, which was to further improve an already excellent platform. Taking into account the results I obtained by putting together this review and the results of other PSUs that utilize the new platform (Corsair AX860 and AX760), I can easily state that the new platform is significantly more efficient than the older one, and especially at lower loads does it provide tighter voltage regulation and generally higher performance. I think that designs like this one push the conventional methods based on analog circuits to their limits. Only digital control can possibly offer noticeably better results at increased cost; that is, for the time being. Seasonic has a winner in their hands with their fresh KM3 platform, and I can safely assume that they will easily lead the performance race. The new X-750 is Gold certified, but it offer efficiency that many Platinum certified units will envy given it provides super stable and ultra clean DC outputs. It can also operate in fanless mode most of the time because of its cold operation and hybrid fan-control system and has a fully modular design, which increases its usability greatly. The most important facet of all is the price at which Seasonic offers their new X-750; it is, to say the least, decent and fully justified because of the X-750's performance, its features and the long warranty that backs it up. "

I take their word from the email and besides the review really thinks the new Seasonic KM3 nailed the KM/KM2 performance, AWESOME RIGHT!?

I tested my PC in stress teser, games, archives, and 3820 OC @ 4.3ghz 24/7 so far so good.

Couldn't be more happier Seasonic user!

No comments:

Post a Comment