Thursday, November 15, 2012

So, do I love or hate Windows 8?

I hate metro originally (like I mentioned in my previous blog post : Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 thoughts...) but for the sake of catching up on development trend so I installed it in my laptop together with Visual Studio 2012 Express and for Windows Phone 8, off course.

Kinda weird seeing there is no start menu and all metro screen at first, but somehow in just 1 day I finally starting to love it for few reasons:
- boot time is fast and the experience feels snappier.
- microsoft account integration with people/mail/skydrive... thanks to my windows phone 7 experience.
- live tiles - I don't missed some blinking or bubble notification in the task bar if someone's sent me a message / email / notification / updates / etc.
- microsoft store - unified and secured downloadable apps. despite of number of apps, give some time to grow.
- I do find metro to be more intuitive than start screen because it's customizable!
- multiple screen overall better - run metro apps and spawn desktop on any screen you want.

Yes, with those simple reason I mentioned, I decided to use Windows 8 Pro on my next desktop upgrade.

If you ask me if I miss Windows XP/Vista/7 pure desktop experience and my answer is NO.
- especially everytime I go to the office, my desktop feels a lot primitive as I still use XP there.
- I use my laptop more often than my Windows 7 + 3 LCD Eyefinity setup. I always extend my screen on borrowed LCD from my desktop PC.

Anyway, see how my wife customize my Windows 8 laptop :)) Hahaha don't blame me, blame her!



Give it a shot. It would only take 2-3 days to get used to it. You will hate it or love it.

It's a personal preference really but thanks God it works for me very well as I'm too lazy to revert back to Windows7.

If it doesn't work for you then it's not that bad either. Windows 7 is still superior to other OS and ever existed to human race -- yes sorry Linux & Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment